The beauty, fragrance, and calming effect of flowers make them a perfect gift for several occasions all over the world. Flowers aren’t exchanged just on festivals or special days, but they also make for a perfect gift on formal occasions. But what’s interesting is that gifting certain flowers in a certain manner can have different meanings based on the culture. For example, gifting red roses may not be considered romantic in several countries. Similarly, in some cultures, people prefer to gift flowers in a specific number. These facts aren’t just fun to know, but they are important to consider for flowers gift delivery to another country or to someone from another culture. We have listed down a couple of facts for you –
- Among Chinese people, peonies are considered as the most popular flowers. They are often used on joyous and auspicious occasions like weddings. Gifting flowers to a teacher is one of the most popular gifting trends in China.
- Like believed by most, in England, red roses are considered just perfect as a romantic gift. British people also love bringing flowers along whenever they are invited to someone’s home but they avoid giving white lilies as they signify death.
- In France, it is a custom to gift Lily of the Valley to your friends, family and loved ones as it signifies springtime, and is considered to bring bliss and good luck.
- In Korea and Brazil, white chrysanthemums are considered best for funerals. Similarly, in Vietnam, tuberoses are an apt choice. They are believed to express sympathy best. In Brazil, before or after a dinner date, single flowers are given, hoping for a successful and happy relationship.
- In Arab countries, on happy occasions like birthdays, engagement and weddings, it is considered perfect to gift white or any other light-coloured flowers. Women in Arab countries are not allowed to send flowers directly to men. She should either send flowers online or get them delivered, in the wife’s name in both cases.
- In Russia, on Women’s Day, spring flowers like red roses, hyacinths and tulips are gifted to women. People in Russia also refrain from gifting gift baskets or flower arrangements on birthdays. They usually gift flowers in a bunch or as a single piece. They also gift flowers in odd numbers on joyous occasions. Russians also consider lilies and carnations quite appropriate for funerals and sympathy. Reason being the circular shape of these flowers, which signify life, death, birth, and rebirth.
- In USA, flowers play a huge role in people’s lives. They celebrate Christmas with an exchange of flowers and gifts. Flowers are also considered just perfect as birthday gifts.
- Europeans never gift 13 flowers as the number 13 is considered unlucky. But europeans usually gift flowers in an odd number.
- In Italy, yellow flowers like roses and sunflowers are considered to be the symbol of success, glory, and luxury. Similarly, orange flowers are believed to bring joy and happiness and these flowers are always gifted on birthdays and anniversaries. Italians also believe that light blue flowers are ideal for weddings.
- In Africa, flowers are exclusively exchanged during Christmas, funerals and weddings only. Apart from these occasions, flowers aren’t usually exchanged.
Hope you enjoyed reading about these unique and interesting flowers facts from all over the world. These might come in very handy when you gift flowers online to your loved ones living abroad.