Bright Scarlet Carnation - (Dianthus caryophyllus) was made the Ohio State Flower in 1904. Scarlet Carnations are probably the most popular cut flowers in the world. Scarlet Carnations are also strongly fragrant.
- caryophyllus L.
Scarlet Carnation flowers are 2-3 inches across with 5 petals, which are clawed and serrated. The colors of Scarlet Carnations vary from white to pink to purple. Sometimes Carnation flowers come in forked clusters, singly or branched. Scarlet Carnation stamens occur in 1-2 whorls with equal petals or sometimes with twice the petals. The flowers of Scarlet Carnations are bisexual. There are 3 different types of Carnations depending on plant form, flower size, and flower type. They are Standards(sims) Sprays (miniatures or minis)and midis (chinensii).
There are many online florists who deliver flowers to Ohio. You can send flowers, plants of your choice to your loved ones living in Ohio or from Ohio to other locations across the United States of America through these popular Ohio Online Florists.
- Scarlet Carnation shrubs are perennials, and grow up to 2 feet tall depending on the variety.
- The stems of Scarlet Carnation plants are woody at the base and have herbaceous branches.
- Leaves of Scarlet Carnations are Linear 4-6 inches, narrow, green to glaucous blue with waxy covering.
- Scarlet Carnation leaves are narrow, stalkless and with color variations from grey to blue or purple.
- The flowering stems of Scarlet Carnations have swollen nodes.
- The presence of carotenoids and flavonoids give coloration to the flowers.
- Scarlet carnations have a fruit in the form of a capsule with many small seeds.
- Scarlet carnations can be propagated by cuttings or seed.
- Scarlet Carnations are also strongly fragrant.
The capital city of Ohio is Columbus. Ohio became a state on March 1, 1803. Ohio's state flag was adopted in 1902.
- The state is nicknamed as Buckeye State.
- Ohio state is located in between 39.988N, 082.987W of the U.S.
- The state is bordered by Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, West Virginia.
- Total land area of Ohio is 44828 sq.mi.
- The state economy depends upon Agriculture: Soybeans, dairy products, corn, tomatoes, hogs, cattle, poultry and eggs, Industry:
Transportation equipment, fabricated metal products, machinery, food processing, electric equipment.
- Ohio is situated between the Eastern Seaboard and the Midwest, and is known for the fact that eight presidents were either born or lived there.
- Historical Sites in Ohio are: Indian burial grounds at Mound City Group National Monument.
- Points of interest in Ohio are: Perry's Victory International Peace Memorial, the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Canton, and the homes of Presidents Grant, Taft, Hayes, Harding, and Garfield.